Marketers and the "us vs. them" illusion

As marketers there seems to exist a cognitive split between our work brains and our non-work brains, which I refer to as the "us vs. them illusion".

Our work brains view customers as "other"; an assemblage of abstract people whom we often glob together in our minds and try to "do things to" in order to influence their behaviors in ways that are beneficial for them as well as for the company. Under this mindset, which I have found to be a pervasive one among marketers, we forget that "we", in many ways are "them".

As a result of our inability to see ourselves in our customers, we often do not ask some of the most basic questions about the products & services that we market. For example, "would I buy my product? If so, why? When? If not, why not? What would have to happen, or how would the product have to be different for me to consider buying it?"

While it's very dangerous to project our answers to such questions onto our customers or prospects, and assume their answers are our answers, it's even more dangerous to not ask these questions at all.

As marketers, we need mechanisms & tools to help us comfortably "walk in our customers shoes", and minimize the cognitive divide that exists between our work brains and our non-work brains.

One such tool that I like to use is what I call the purchase journal. The journal helps me become more conscious and cognizant of why I purchase what I purchase; how I go about making these decisions, even the most subtle ones, such as the purchasing of a cup of coffee at Joe's deli instead of La Petite deli.

With the journal I am able to reflect on all of the nuanced and almost invisible, tiny forces that act on me and pave the way for a myriad of different purchase decisions that I make - the small ones and the big ones. I like to think of the approach as the consumer equivalent of getting in touch with your "inner consumer voice".

So what exactly is the purchase journal?
While I consider the purchase journal one of my many "trade secrets", in brief, it is essentially a log of the purchases you make over a period of time, including--most importantly--the reasons behind your purchase decisions.

As you build your purchase journal, you'll begin to tap into your "inner consumer voice", and in the process become a more mindful consumer. Buddhist analogies aside, as you cultivate this mindfulness, you'll significantly enhance your ability to move closer to "the truth" about how consumer decisions are made with a rich appreciation for the subtleties of many of these decisions.

Ultimately, this process will help you develop the skills for identifying insights about the consumers of your products - the types of insights that lead to more sustainable competitive advantage; the types of deep insights that can only be gleaned by becoming the Indiana Jones of your own consumer mind.

To learn more about the Purchase Journal - what it is and how to use it within your business, please feel free to contact me via email.







Related Posts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About me

Photostream

Labels