CoNtEXT iS KiNg

All good marketing requires a rich understanding of context - environmental and personal.

We are always embedded in a context. The time of day; the weather; the people we are with or not with; our location - at home, at the doctor, in a store, at work; our present goals, objectives and activities; our current emotional states & energy levels... to name only a few dimensions...

When I am standing on a packed subway platform during my Monday morning commute to work, with coffee in my left hand and organizer in my right hand, I'm in an entirely different context than when I'm in upstate New York in the fall, walking through the woods with my lovely wife & our charming French Bulldog.

While I remain "Doug" in both situations, my environment and my state of mind could not be more different. While my values, beliefs & views of the world might remain relatively fixed in both situations, my needs, objectives, mental filters, and basic physiology likely diverge greatly.

In a nutshell, good marketing requires a deep, rich understanding of context. People's needs, objectives & mental filters are dramatically influenced & shaped by their environments. Given this basic tenet, marketers need to align their strategies with the environments in which their target (and existing) customers find themselves.

To give a basic example, if your main customer acquisition channel is direct snail mail, you need to develop your mailer with an understanding of the context/environment in which your mailers are likely to be viewed.

While research can help you identify the most common contexts in which people open up their mail, for the sake of this example let's say assume it's in the evening just after coming home from work. Let's also assume that people look through their mail in one sitting, and thus will view your mailer as part of quickly sifting through a stack of other mail, most of which will be quickly identified as "junk mail". Let's take our premise one step further and assume that the process of sifting through mail is a frustrating one as people try to "separate the wheat from the chaff".

So that's the context you need to keep in mind as you develop your mailer. All of the decisions that you make about the mailer (envelope, copy, design, cadence, pieces, sizes & shapes, colors, etc.) should be made keeping in mind this context, which should heavily influence your decisions.

to be continued...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About me

Photostream

Labels